Re: [News] PS3 Enhanced; Once Again, Company Bricks XBox360s, Customers Charged for the Fix

On 2007-04-19, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 18 April 2007 18:24 \__
>
>> Mike <i@xxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>>
>>><crap>
>>>
>>> Stop posting old news. So what if people are getting a bigger HDD with the
>>> PS3?!? Xbox are releasing a 120GB HDD.
>>>

>> So the Xbox will get even more hot?  How many more house-fires?  Or do
>> Microsoft add the heatsink they didn't?
>>
>> Stick with the PS3 - you can run Linux on it, too.
>
> The dishonesty is what makes the XBox repellent, IMHO.
>
> * They lied about CD scratching until the Dutch TV caught them.

That will cost money to fix. Their cash pile isn't as many billions as
it once was.

> * YouTube and forums had them caught for high failure rate.

They need those high failure rates to sell more. Gotta get that bank
account back up there.

> * The press caught them eliminating free XBox content.

How can they even *sustain*, much less *grow*, the money in the bank by
giving stuff away? Good will doesn't earn money fast enough to keep the
stock prices from tanking.

> * Forums caught them bricking XBoxes /en masse/ and then charging for a fix.

Now *there's* a money making idea!

> The list goes on and on, but all this just comes off the top of my head...

It's really no different from what they've been doing with Windows for
ages: sell defective crap, make people pay more to get stuff that's
fixed; pull an "anti-piracy" stunt that disables a fair number of
legitimate installs and you know there will be some level of people who
will buy another copy after theirs gets disabled, no matter that they
can call up and plead to get a license to replace the one that was
canned; escalate the prices of the garbage sold without actually doing
anything to improve the quality of it; take over markets that others
have created to support the cheesy "software" that never should have
hit the streets, and find there's an instant money maker, at least
until the people spending the money realize they've been suckered
again.

--
Linux: It just _works_.
Windows: It _just_ works.