Re: [News] Jack Thompson Blames Microsoft for Virginia Incident

__/ [ Kelsey Bjarnason ] on Thursday 19 April 2007 05:17 \__

http://www.gamealmighty.com/story-individual/story/Thompson_Targets_Microsoft_in_Latest_Crusade/

>> This is harsh. Another news agency wrongly said that CounterStike is a
>> Microsoft game. I saw that ysterday. Also in the news:
>

> Err... umm... no.  It's a game, folks.  If this were enough to compel
> people to run out and kill, we'd be seeing this sort of thing every day.
> Games involving guns, shooting, killing, even fairly realistic ones
> involving first-person-perspective and "life like" targets are hardly new.
>
> If that's all it took, then this would have been happening regularly for
> years... and every single user of the game would be out on a killing spree.
>
> It ain't happening.  Gimme a break.

I beg to differ. I don't want to name any game maker here, but these games
are clearly addictive and they lead to an immersion of the mind. The same
goes for all virtual 'worlds', even Second life. IIRC, a guy in Korea died
last year after a long gaming marahon. China and India (IIT) have embraced
enforced regulation to combat the epidemic of Net/gaming addiction as well.
Meanwhile, in Germany, there are talks about banning some games, I think.
Studies are showing that people who play racing games drive more
dangerously, but let's not deviate from the main point here.

These shooter games lead to a 'gun happy' mind, which has probably led to the
increase in people who wish to join the military. It's a recruitment tool.
To some, going to war with a gun is like fantasy becoming a reality (but I
very much doubt it, or at least want to believe so).

In any event, this particular shooter was generally disturbed in his mind and
he was advised to seek counselling. They looked at his essays and attitude
towards people. Is it possible that the /PC/ led to degradation in his
mental state?

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows O/S: chmod a-x internet; kill -9 internet
         run-level 5  Apr 14 23:12                   last=S