Re: [News] Jack Thompson Blames Microsoft for Virginia Incident

[snips]

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 05:48:01 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> Err... umm... no.  It's a game, folks.  If this were enough to compel
>> people to run out and kill, we'd be seeing this sort of thing every day.
>> Games involving guns, shooting, killing, even fairly realistic ones
>> involving first-person-perspective and "life like" targets are hardly new.
>>
>> If that's all it took, then this would have been happening regularly for
>> years... and every single user of the game would be out on a killing spree.
>>
>> It ain't happening.  Gimme a break.
>
> I beg to differ. I don't want to name any game maker here, but these games
> are clearly addictive and they lead to an immersion of the mind.

So, if you played such a game, you'd be out killing people?  Don't think
so.  I know I wouldn't; I *have* played such games and haven't killed
anyone.

If a game is so compelling that it is to blame for the killings, then
every single player, bar the occasional exceptionally strong one, should
be also be out killing - and it ain't happening.

This is the same asinine argument that says porn leads to rape.  Both
commit the same error: they confuse the attraction of such games to those
*already predisposed* to their particular flavor of violence; this is not
the same as being a causal factor.

That someone with a psychological makeup which permits him to be a killer
happens to like a game or genre of games doesn't mean the games are at
fault, it simply means the games happen to appeal to him - as well as
thousands or even millions of others without such psychological failings.

--
Do not contact me at kbjarnason@xxxxxxxxxxx