Re: [News] Does the $100 Laptop Mark a Revolution for Children?

__/ [ p5000011 ] on Thursday 19 April 2007 00:02 \__

> The banal John Locke scribbled:
>
>> If they will teach basic computer programming, hardware
>> funadmentals, etc. etc........then it might be.
>
> Due to lack of context it isn't possible to know which part of Roy's
> post you are referring to.
>
> The purpose of the OLPC is not focused on what you wrote above. It is
> to enable poor kids in countries that lack the infrastructure to
> provide basic education needs. The Internet is an incredible education
> resource if used properly. The OLPC at least is an opportunity for
> millions of poor kids worldwide to have a chance of a decent
> education. It will of course enable those interested to learn the
> things you mention but I think that is a very low priority for most of
> the targeted kids.
>
> I would really like to have one for my kids as it looks really cool as
> well.

I was thinking along the same lines. Some of the critics of the OLPC use the
/open source/ aspect (not security, not cost) as FUD. They say things like
"no child will start writing Python".

It's important to remember that the OLPC is:

* Communication
* Literature
* Creativity tool (e.g. art)
* [many more things...]

It is /not/ a business laptop for kids to do their online shopping and play
Quake. It would be bad if it /was/.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: mint and self-contained 'out of the box'
  2:20am  up 4 days  1:48,  4 users,  load average: 1.60, 1.24, 0.88