Re: [News] New E-voting Project to Run GNU/Linux

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 18 April 2007 18:00 \__

>> Open-source project aims to erase e-voting fog
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The project involved vendor Logica CMG, but was eventually ended.
>>| The Dutch government decided to release the code under the GNU
>>| GPL license after stripping it of its proprietary elements.
>>|
>>| [...]
>>|
>>| The back-end software, written in Java, will run on Linux or Apple's
>>| OS X. The user interface, viewed through a Web browser, is "Google
>>| simple," Kiniry said.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/04/16/HNevotingfog_1.html
>>

> Why would voting software be anything other than open-source?  There is
> no reason.  Same for military, medical, telecoms and other critical
> systems.

It's a mental barrier, I think. It's also a form of greed that people won't
let slip. People somtimes say this in reference to OpenDocument: educate,
explain, spread the word. People still think that .Doc is a standard.
Clearly they don't know what a standard means, so they just attach that junk
to E-mails (not even linking to some Webspace instead, which is one of the
nice things about Web-based office suites). They rarely care about the
understanding of standard. They take for granted the fact that Microsoft's
Office suite for the Mac is the only way to go and the prices start at $400
for a student, IIRC. Monopolies are bad and lockins defend them, which hurts
the customer.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Is it a stupid sig? Why yes it is!
  2:00am  up 4 days  1:28,  4 users,  load average: 1.08, 0.73, 0.74