Re: [News] Queensland Will Ignore Windows Vista for At Least 3 Years?

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 18 April 2007 18:28 \__

http://www.techworld.nl/idgns/2963/australian-state-snubs-linux-and-vista-for-100000-pcs.html

>> More parts of Australia do not seem to be satisfied with Vista.
>
> Their IT tendering people appear to have their heads in the sand here -
> they're going out to tender for Windows XP machines, but they already
> have them!  I know it's easier to avoid making a decision, but replacing
> what you already have with something which does precisely the same thing
> is probably the biggest waste of public money imaginable.  I wonder if
> the general public in Queensland will find out how their tax money is
> being wasted, and if so, will push for some free software?  How can
> government be based on Windows?  It's a ridiculous remark - computers
> are tools, they do not set the agenda.

They ought to look at all those article that come wfrom Australia. One of
them spoke about an E-mail disaster quite recently (it was Microsoft
Exchange).

[Australia:] WA infrastructure dept close to e-mail disaster

,----[ Quote ]
| Western Australia's Department of Planning and Infrastructure (DPI)
| has revealed its Microsoft Exchange-based e-mail system is
| suffering frequent outages that are creating a risk of
| embarrassing public data loss.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/communications/soa/WA_infrastructure_dept_close_to_e_mail_disaster/0,130061791,339274592,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/395b26

How about all those stories about hijacked servers, millions of people whose
sensitive information reaches criminals, and general paranoia in sustaining
and maintaining a Windows-based environment (endless patching of 0-day
critical flaws)? It's madness. The government must be in Microsoft pocket,
just like BECTA. Didn't they recently write some laws to please Mr. Gates?

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Free the mind, the source will follow"
         run-level 5  Apr 14 23:12                   last=S