Re: [News] Queensland Will Ignore Windows Vista for At Least 3 Years?

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:11:14 -0700, John Locke
<johnlocke98513@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 13:38:14 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
><newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Australian state snubs Linux and Vista for 100,000 PCs
>>
>>,----[ Quote ]
>>| Talk about new desktop operating systems may be at an all-time high,
>>| but the government of Australian state Queensland has no intention
>>| to progress from the six-year-old Windows XP for more than 100,000
>>| computers to be purchased over the next three years.
>>`----
>>
>>http://www.techworld.nl/idgns/2963/australian-state-snubs-linux-and-vista-for-100000-pcs.html
>>
>>More parts of Australia do not seem to be satisfied with Vista.
>It seems like every other day I hear the same story...some school,
>some country, some government or state agency..........either ignoring
>Vista or moving to Linux.
>
>The Win drones will tell you this isn't happening, because Microsoft
>tells them all is fat and fuzzy.

Regarding Vista, it's a POS at best but it is decades ahead of Linux.
85% of those companies and individuals that are resisting Vista are
currently using another Windows OS (XP, Win2000, Win98, etc..)
and the majority of them intend to stay with their installed OS.
Some might jump to Linux but the enterprise installations are
not going to spend the time and resources to change to
Linux/OSS just because Vista isn't currently a viable option.
Most are expressing a "wait and see" opinion about Vista but
aren't even remotely interested in an OSS direction.

Home users are a different story but they are a stupid bunch
and will, likely as not, revert back to Windows Vista as soon
as it has matured.   BUT, the initial tryout of Linux is all you
Lino-brains are interested in. This is the Linux manifesto.
"Just try it. That's all we ask. Switch back if you don't like it
but at least give it a try."