Re: [News] Vista PCs Get 'Locked in' to Windows Vista

  • Subject: Re: [News] Vista PCs Get 'Locked in' to Windows Vista
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 13:23:58 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Guy Fawkes <spare_the_rod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

> "Hadron Quark" <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxx> schreef in bericht
>> "Guy Fawkes" <spare_the_rod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schreef in bericht

>>> I was afraid this would happen. It wouldn't surprise me that Linux also
>>> will
>>> have trouble installing on a Vista-ready laptop. My guess is that
>>> Microsoft
>>> has engineered the hardware in such a way that only Vista will install on
>>> it
>>> and no other OS, just to throw sand in Linux's engine.
>>>
>>> Has anyone managed to install Linux on a Vista-ready PC?
>>
>> Please tell me you are joking here?
>>
>> How has Microsoft engineered any hardware you buffoon?
>
> By making up the hardware specifications to which PC makers need to abide to
> gain the 'Windows Vista Ready' certification (which they all want).

I don't know how much control Microsoft could exert over hardware, but I
think they could look to mess around with the BIOS and boot-loaders to
make things even more difficult.  I wonder how long it will be before
the first "Dual-book Linux & Vista" Howto appears.  I suppose my first
question would be "why do you want vista?".