Re: Microsoft's 'Men in Black' kill Florida open standards legislation

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft's 'Men in Black' kill Florida open standards legislation
  • From: Tim Smith <reply_in_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 17:12:00 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In article <1176909891.894409.177230@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 "nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Actually, the story I heard at the time of the DOJ investigation of
> Microsoft was that prior to that action, Microsoft had not bothered
> with lobbying.  They certainly changed their policies after that,
> however.  Also started destroying emails.  Learned a lot of lessons.

I recall reading something about this in connection with the earliest
digital and HD TV standards.  Those standards were great for television,
but did not fit in well with computers.  The reason was that computer
companies had almost no lobbyists, so no one was pushing to make sure
the standards would include resolutions and modes that were good for
computers.

That was a wake up call for Silicon Valley, and all the major companies
hired lobbyists.

--
--Tim Smith