Re: [News] Intel Expects 180 million UMPCs Per Year, Chooses Linux

Guy Fawkes <spare_the_rod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schreef in bericht
>> Intel debuts Linux-based "Mobile Internet Device"
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The chip giant projects a global market of 180 million units annually
>> | by 2010 for "Mobile Internet Devices" (MIDs), which are conceptually
>> | similar to Nokia's N800 tablet.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8166710404.html
>>
>> The more you find out, the more amazing it seems. See links below. Intel
>> is
>> not so interested in Windows anymore.
>
> I have a hunch that if it's low cost and has Wifi built in that this gadget
> may become *very* popular. I'm pretty sure that Microsoft is beating on
> Intel's door to beg/threaten them to install Windows Mobile on it. I have
> the idea these 'utilitarian' PC's (with fixed functionality) will become
> quite popular as second laptop for in the garden, or to look up something
> quickly.
>
> I don't like it using UEFI, Intel's attempt to hijack the BIOS and to line
> their pockets. Linux doesn't need no frecking BIOS!!

Intel has been pushing hard into the linux world for many years now.
They were a founding member of the OSDL, as well as the major driver
behind the original ATCA specification (the successor to CompactPCI),
and as you say, are getting more and more involved in driving the
lightweight mobility device market.