Re: [News] Intel Expects 180 million UMPCs Per Year, Chooses Linux

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schreef in bericht
> Intel debuts Linux-based "Mobile Internet Device"
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The chip giant projects a global market of 180 million units annually
> | by 2010 for "Mobile Internet Devices" (MIDs), which are conceptually
> | similar to Nokia's N800 tablet.
> `----

> The more you find out, the more amazing it seems. See links below. Intel
> is
> not so interested in Windows anymore.

I have a hunch that if it's low cost and has Wifi built in that this gadget
may become *very* popular. I'm pretty sure that Microsoft is beating on
Intel's door to beg/threaten them to install Windows Mobile on it. I have
the idea these 'utilitarian' PC's (with fixed functionality) will become
quite popular as second laptop for in the garden, or to look up something
quickly.

I don't like it using UEFI, Intel's attempt to hijack the BIOS and to line
their pockets. Linux doesn't need no frecking BIOS!!