Re: The sorry state of open source today

__/ [ ed ] on Sunday 15 April 2007 22:21 \__

> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 14:08:31 -0700
> East <me@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/309/
>>
>> I have been using open source software since the beginning of 1995.
>> It was about Linux (starting with Slackware, after an initial
>> apprenticeship with SLS), then some FreeBSD and NetBSD, to continue
>> with several Linux distributions. What a choice! The future was
>> bright, as the Linux kernel experienced a lot of improvements, the
>> number of the distributions climbed up to the sky, advanced desktop
>> environments appeared, and the StarOffice suite metamorphosed into
>> OpenOffice.org, a very decent alternative to Microsoft Office.
>
> sorry, really? it's good enough for their hosting:
>
> Connected to www.thejemreport.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> HEAD / HTTP/1.1
> Host:www.thejemreport.com
>
> HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
> Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:17:00 GMT
> Server: Apache
> Location: http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/index.php
>
> Connection closed by foreign host.

You have to read this report with knowledge about context. This comes from a
man who runs the most obscure distros (Linuxes and BSDs) and almost
intentionally breaks stuff. He takes the right approach by showing that
every piece of software has design bugs (he'll even complain about button
sizes and colours), which leads to /improving/ things. This report can be
used as a guidebook to the betterment of open source. Don't get this guy
started on Vista or Leopard. Rest assured he'd rip them to pieces! But he
concentrates on *nix, as a acritic, not a reviewer. Each blog item of his
(about 10 a day) is a rant.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Reversi for Linux/Win32: http://othellomaster.com
Tasks: 118 total,   2 running, 114 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie