Re: Linux now on AppleTV

__/ [ Steve de Mena ] on Sunday 15 April 2007 07:24 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ Steve de Mena ] on Saturday 14 April 2007 23:46 \__

>>> Where are the details on this?  As Microsoft
>>> doesn't sell PCs I am not sure what their
>>> involvement would be regarding a "Vista Capable"
>>> PC that wasn't capable.
>>
>> See my reply to warchild. It's not just "Vista capable" which represents
>> this. They also channel-stuff in order to deceive buyers and they use
>> slogans that do not align with the reality (e.g. "Games for Windows").
>> References below.
>>

>> Vista gaming will be 10 to 15 per cent slower than XP
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | So if you play Battlefield 2 or FEAR or any other popular game you are
>> | likely to get lower frame rates with Vista. That is certainly not a
>> | good buying argument but don?t think you and I have much choice as it
>> | looks like a take it or leave it deal. I like Vista as the 3D desktop
>> | looks sexy but that is probably its key feature.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34915
>
> Yes it will be slower, like 5%, but it has nothing
> to do with "Aero" and/or the "3D" desktop, it is
> due to moving graphic subsystem pieces out of the
> kernel area to make the system more stable.  This
> was an old article from lat October.
>

>> Microsoft doesn't yet play games on Vista
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The firm has its Vista logo all over its boothm, but all the machines
>> | that we investigated were running Windows XP.
>> |
>> | Obviously, it is still not the right time to switch to Vista as things
>> | might be not stable for current games. We hope that they can meet the
>> | early 2007 schedules.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33924
>
> This was from August 2006, some six months before
> Vista released.  Only now are graphics card makers
> coming out with decent drivers.  Why would anyone
> have expected them to be running a Beta copy of
> Vista back in 2006 for demos, with shitty Beta or
> pre-beta graphics drivers?

Have a look at this new benchmark.

Quake 4 On XP, Vista, & Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| However, I spent the extra time and while I was at it had run three
| Quake 4 v1.3 benchmarks in XP, Vista, and Fedora Core 6 (2.6.20 kernel).
| The hardware used was a modest AMD Sempron setup with a NVIDIA GeForce
| 6150 and the NVIDIA 1.0-9755 drivers (the hardware chosen was to
| represent the more common Linux user rather than using an octal-core
| setup). The NVIDIA driver on Vista was 100.65 while the XP version
| was 93.71. Below is the average frame-rate from each test on each
| operating system.
`----

http://www.michaellarabel.com/index.php?k=blog&i=164

Even Linux beats Vista.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999