Re: [News] Debain GNU/Linux Gets Good Review from OSTG

> Debian redefines itself with new release
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Rumors of Debian's decline or irrelevance have been circulating
> | for some time. Debian 4.0 may not always succeed in following
> | its guiding principles, but, overall, the redefinition that it
> | provides is a successful refutation of these rumors.
> `----
>
> http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/13/1231226

I prefer Debian to Ubuntu, myself.  For one thing, Ubuntu shows only an
"idiot bar" when starting up, just like Windoze does.  For another
thing, Ubuntu leaves off a lot of tools necessary to build projects from
source.  Easy to overcome, of course, but a bit jolting to me.
Debian is definitely my favorite at this point (although using Slackware
is very instructive about the tendency of distros to add wrappers to the
functionality, something that Slackware does not do.)

Ubuntu is definitely a good way for a Windows user to start with Linux,
though.

--
   Linux -- because it's *your* money, not Microsoft's