Re: [News] EEF Fights European Crackdown on Freedom

[H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:
>> EFF takes up arms against Euro copyright move
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Their new site says: IPRED2's new crime of "aiding, abetting and
>> | inciting" infringement again takes aim at innovators, including
>> | open source coders, media-sharing sites like YouTube, and ISPs
>> | that refuse to block P2P services.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/12/eff_petition/
>
> Sign now!
>
> http://www.copycrime.eu/petition

Just did it.  So far, just under 3,000 appear to have signed up, enough
to cause a sway, but probably not enough to scare politicians (yet).
What's particularly disgusting is that we're starting to get the US-style
of commercially-driven governance, and the reduction in personal rights
this inevitably brings.  The /excuse/ for aligning Europe-wide copyright
law is an appallling one, when you consider what's actually being done
here, which is a huge *extension* of the law.