Re: [News] Firm Moves to GNU/Linux on the Desktop

thad01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <thad01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> As Thad says above, the need for retraining cannot be ignored, but at
>> the same time, it should not be used as a reason alone to avoid change,
>> since the benefits of moving from Windows are so great that even some
>> retraining is well worthwhile.
>
> As you say, training is not a show stopper.  Pop into any major book
> store with a computer section and you can see proof that there is a
> huge body of Linux knowledge ready to tap into.  Most tech training
> facilities now include Linux courses.  Still, as Linux continues to
> grow, I see a lot of opportunity in meeting the increasing demand for
> training, hence my interest in any article that touches on the
> subject.  :)  I'm positioning my business to move in that direction,
> and not fast enough if recent trends are any indication.

Be careful with your language sir :-) I would say that it is an important
component in any migration, and must be taken seriously, however, it is
no more a "show-stopper" than any number of possible hitches and traps
in making any technology change.  I don't particularly like the term
"show-stopper" because it is often used in an emotive way, along with
claims of lack of funding, to stop projects from going ahead (usually in
order to get something else to happen, of course).

My positioning is rather that training is an "essential enabler to
change" rather than a "stopper" of any kind.