Re: [News] CRN Explains Why Windows Vista is Good News to GNU/Linux

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Friday 13 April 2007 16:01 \__

>> | It's a delicious prospect: Microsoft impaling itself on the horns
>> | of a dilemma it has created for itself. Roll on Thursday.
>> `----
>>
>> http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1956941,00.html
>
> They'll never do it; they know it would finish them. Just the measures
> they've taken *so far* have caused them an epidemic loss of users and
> mindshare, if not actual paying "customers".

Yes, *paying* to eat the bait, just like Novell. Do you know that they have
just 'donated' to schools? They mention sums of money in a press release,
but these sums of money are only handed over in the form of Windows Vista
Ultimate Edition. As I said in Digg, this will lead to incompatibilities
(e.g. XPS, HD, the new default filesystem for CD-ROM burning). In effect,
this is about a 'network effect'. It's viral. They simply do a
stemming/rooting routine, under the disguise of good cause. Moreover, they
get good publicity for themselves /and/ for Vista.

They get the children 'kind of addicated', to use Gates' words.

Here are a couple of good and related stories:

Adobe targets school kids to get them hooked on software

,----[ Quote ]
| Adobe is where the 'apps' are manufactured. These apps that have the
| power to make images appear before our children's eyes. "There were
| all these, like, stars, and they were rotating. It really captured
| my attention," said Nigel, 14, hardly more than a child, but with
| the vacant expression of a man who has spent hours looking at a
| screen. Nigel has now discovered he needs glasses.

Microsoft: 'Financial incentives' for Live Search data

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070316/tc_infoworld/86900

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    WARNING: /dev/null running out of space
Tasks: 130 total,   1 running, 122 sleeping,   0 stopped,   7 zombie