Re: [News] Next Ubuntu GNU/Linux Will Be Called "Gutsy Bibbon", Bug Reports Automated

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer
<spam@xxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 12 Apr 2007 18:16:13 +0100
<u362f4-e3k.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Introducing the Gutsy Gibbon
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Folks, allow me to introduce the Gutsy Gibbon, who will be succeeding
>> | the Feisty Fawn as the focus of our development love in a few short
>> | weeks, for release in October 2007.
>> `----
>>
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2007-April/000276.html
>
> Wait for uncle FUDenbunch to claim this is the "worst name ever".

I'm assuming they're going through the alphabet; wait for the N's.

:-)

The term I'm thinking of (hint: hip-hop/rap) is a *LOT*
nastier than "Gutsy Gibbon", I assure you.  Besides,
what's wrong with an assertive monkey and/or young deer?

Did I miss something in the Political Correctness Reference Handbook?

> Personally I like these fun names, it's certainly less pretentious than
> the style adopted in the proprietary world, which would probably have
> resulted in a name like "Ubuntu Premium Ultimate for Corporate
> Enterprise Workgroups Business OEM Edition 2007", or something equally
> poncy.

Heh!  One of the more endearing -- if occasionally annoying
-- aspects of FLOSS are the catchy names.  Not only are
they more interesting, but they're also easier to find
if one knows one needs "Feisty Fawn" or "Gutsy Gibbon" --
Google has no problems with that.

Of course, one might also try the next semi-logical step,
which would be utter nonsense:

HY7823lan Ho3423ghb
I23oi/%xu I92-0./K
J#*$@*!@# JY%*&*@@
K???????? K???????

:-)

so there's probably a boundary here.  Somewhere.

(Apologies if anyone is using these as passwords.)

Now Google for Word.  Of course, as luck would have
it, the first page coughed up is

http://www.microsoft.com/word/

which transmutes into

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/default.aspx

Good placement, Microsoft. :-)

But one also gets

www.word.com (Merriam-Webster)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word (Wikipedia)

docs.google.com, Merriam-Webster's Word Of The Day
(http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/mwwod.pl), and
an English to French, Italian, & Spanish Dictionary
(www.wordreference.com).

All on the first page.

At least with "Feisty Fawn" most of the links are either
the official link, or news articles/blogs relating to
Ubuntu.  (But then, Bambi and Fawn Hall, Oliver North's
tall, somewhat attractive secretary, don't strike me as
especially feisty.)

And that's *without* the manufacturer name (Ubuntu).

This continues for several more pages.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #7878218:
class C { private: virtual void stupid() = 0; };