Re: [News] Xandros and Ubuntu Linux Servers Get Certified by IBM

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> IBM Grants DB2 9 Certification to New Xandros Linux Server
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Xandros Meets Enterprise Need With Certification of Xandros
> | Server 2.0 as "Ready for IBM DB2 Software for Linux"
> `----
>
> http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=237232

Nice one IBM, cover too main areas. Xandros for the 'Want all the Desktop
setup for me in one box' brigade and Ubuntu.

I know hardened 'do it from scratch' Linux'ers don't tend to like Xandros
and Linspire, probably for no other reason than they do too much of the
work for you, but I think that these two targetted at a purely desktop
environment can't really be beat for new users. After install and register
it's a simple matter of switch on and everything is there ready to run.

Of cause being pure Desktop you lose out on some of the common server side,
even if you don't use your Linux as a server there are many server services
that you use maybe without realising it, even if only inside your PC box,
but for a starting point in Linux when all you really want to do is get on
with your work, then I put these two distros at the top of the list.

If you are set up at home with a Linux server, then there is no real need
for your clients to cover that area too. Let the server take part of the
work, that's what it's for, let the server do downloads, render prints,
take care of your internal network, provide faster browsing, take care of
your emails etc , and then your client can be lighter on it's feet.

I keep pushing the home network these days. Mainly because at the moment
families can have a server and a couple of clients for the cost that a year
ago they would have paid for one medium power PC. So no need for lost
homework anymore, no need to have kids fighting for time on the PC. No need
to let buggy Windows ruin a years college work.

The prices of server class hardware these days is amazing, HP's or Dell's
from around Â250. Server class will last you a long time, will usually be
trouble free. In fact I bet most of you would end up using them daily as
your route to the Internet and storage, emails etc, but still forget it is
even there. Don't worry, IT folk do that too.