Re: [News] Apache Open Source Server Still Gaining [not!]

  • Subject: Re: [News] Apache Open Source Server Still Gaining [not!]
  • From: Jim Richardson <warlock@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 22:01:51 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:50:37 -0500,
 Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 16:30:28 -0700, Jim Richardson wrote:
>
>>> No.  They use akamai, a distributed DNS system, to prevent a massive DDoS
>>> from eating up all the bandwidth and preventing other users from being able
>>> to resolve names.
>>
>> Akamai isn't just DNS. It also proxies and caches content. Are you
>> stating that the only use MSFT makes of Akamai is DNS lookups?
>
> I just did some checking via netcraft, and it appears that Microsoft is no
> longer using Akamai for web content.  They are still using it for

check again.

results of a dig for www.microsoft.com

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.microsoft.com.      2313    IN      CNAME toggle.www.ms.akadns.net.
toggle.www.ms.akadns.net. 211   IN      CNAME   g.www.ms.akadns.net.
g.www.ms.akadns.net.    211     IN      CNAME   lb1.www.ms.akadns.net.
lb1.www.ms.akadns.net.  211     IN      A       207.46.19.60
lb1.www.ms.akadns.net.  211     IN      A       207.46.198.30
lb1.www.ms.akadns.net.  211     IN      A       207.46.225.60
lb1.www.ms.akadns.net.  211     IN      A       207.46.19.190
lb1.www.ms.akadns.net.  211     IN      A       207.46.198.60
lb1.www.ms.akadns.net.  211     IN      A       207.46.199.30
lb1.www.ms.akadns.net.  211     IN      A       207.46.18.30
lb1.www.ms.akadns.net.  211     IN      A       207.46.19.254

the lbl.www.* machines don't respond to a dns query, they do respond to
a port 80 GET request. So looks like ms is still using akamai for
www.microsoft.com

> downloads, wich makes sense, many other companies use it to distribute
> bandwidth around the world.  They're also using it for
> search.microsoft.com, oddly enough, and an "unknown" web server.  Must be a
> custom server that Microsoft has developed.

"must be a custom server that Microsoft has developed"? why do you say
that?

> MSN no longer uses akamai though, which kind of destroys your whole point.

yeah, they use savvis instead, an Akamai competitor, recently bought by
Level 3.

Funny that...

>> Does anyone think Akamai could do all this on MSWindows ? and make any
>> sort of profit?
>
> Whether or not they can, they didn't.  Are you suggesting they couldn't
> use, say Solaris either?  I'm sure they could have, but they didn't.

We aren't discussing Solaris, we are discussing MS-Windows, and Linux.
It's pretty obvious which OS owns the CDN market in that comparison.

And it isn't Redmond's finest.

I came; I saw; I fucked up