Re: [News] Phoenix BIOS Blocks Linux

  • Subject: Re: [News] Phoenix BIOS Blocks Linux
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 16:13:47 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 10 Apr 2007 22:52:23 +0100
<3546699.z4OIxy3UZ8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> WARNING!! There is windows in my.. BIOS!!!!
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | From my laptop's Bios download page
> |
> | This BIOS is ONLY for use with Windows Vista. Please do not install this
> | BIOS for use with Windows XP, or other Windows versions.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=2705017#post2705017
>
> I wonder how much Microsoft is paying them to force people to use Vista.

Oh come now.  If not everyone uses Vista how can Microsoft
claim it's the new standard? ;-)

(But we should probably thwack Phoenix a good one.
I'm frankly not sure how, though one can try to hit them
where it hurts -- by buying competing equipment instead.)

> Related:
>
> Mobile device vendor picks up AMD's PIC
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The PIC has been demonstrated running Linux, although versions of the
> | device that were sold along with Internet service packages in
> | developing nations reportedly blocked Linux at the BIOS level.
> `----

Ick.  Microsoft-specific protocols enforced by ISPs
and mobile phone companies.  Not a pretty picture.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #104392:
for(int i = 0; i < 1000000; i++) sleep(0);