Re: Phoenix BIOS Blocks Linux

  • Subject: Re: Phoenix BIOS Blocks Linux
  • From: "Rex Ballard" <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 10 Apr 2007 16:06:15 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
> | From my laptop's Bios download page
> |
> | This BIOS is ONLY for use with Windows Vista. Please do not install this
> | BIOS for use with Windows XP, or other Windows versions.
> `----
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=2705017#post...
>
> I wonder how much Microsoft is paying them to force people to use Vista.

This is for a bios flash update.  The other operating systems don't
NEED these flash updates,
and Vista does nasty things if it doesn't get them.  The problem seems
to be that Vista is using Ring Zero mode, which means that the BIOS
cannot set the kernel mode level when it's routines are called.  The
problem is that earlier versions of Windows didn't do this, and the
BIOS had to set it to eliminate synchronization, race conditiion, and
deadlock problems.

Just one more reason why you should NOT use Vista!!

My machine says "Vista Capable" but in order to run Vista, I'd have to
flash the BIOS, forfeit all rights to run previous copies (XP or
2000), and would have to have Ultimate to legally play multimedia on
the machine I use for consulting gigs.

Vista NO THANKS!

Runs Linux just fine, and the Windows 2000 VM is just enough to do
what I actually need (those nasty sites that won't talk to firefox).

It seems that since I can't access the corporate travel site
conveniently, they have decided that I can use other online booking
services to book my flights and hotels.  Ironically, I usually get
better deals that way too.

\