Re: COLA Stats: Saturday the 28th of April, 2007.

  • Subject: Re: COLA Stats: Saturday the 28th of April, 2007.
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:27:15 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
>> __/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Saturday 28 April 2007 19:30 \__

>>> Without any evidence, such accusations merely demonstrate a severe case
>>> of projection.

>> This was discussed about a year ago. I advised Roy C to make it public and he
>> was happy to do this. He said it would require tidying up before putting up
>> on freshmeat.net.

> Do you have a copy of Roy's committment?
>
> I have no problem with publishing it myself.  Up to Homer I guess.

AFAIAC it's Roy C's work, even though he did kindly pass it on to me
(and you, and other's I think), so AFAIK I don't have any exclusive
rights. He did give me his permission [2] to license it under the GPL,
which I could do (as could any of the other's). Far be it from me to
stand in the way of anyone else who wants to publish it.

As for myself, there are several reasons I haven't made the effort to
publish it:

. The script is currently too COLA-specific, and would need to be made
  more generic to be of interest to anyone outside COLA.
. I've noticed Perl warning messages (not fatal errors), and I'd prefer
  to clean up this issue before unleashing it on others.
. I'm no Perl guru, and I was going to use this project as a means to
  improve my Perl skills. I keep putting it off, but it *will* happen,
  I'm just in no particular hurry.
. There is already a perfectly good stats script out there [1], so I see
  no urgency to release another one, especially one so specific to COLA.
. The only people *demanding* access to this script are the Trolls, and
  their motives are disingenuous to say the least. I am *not* here to
  serve the needs of malevolent Trolls, and the more they bitch and
  whine - the less likely I am to capitulate.
. AFAIAC the publishing of stats is nothing more than a bit of fun, and
  the COLA stats in particular are heavily oriented towards poking fun
  at the Trolls (as well they deserve it, since they have no right to be
  here posting off-charter material, or disrupting the activities of
  this group). As much as the true advocates in this group despise the
  Trolls, equally they despise us and the fun we have at their expense.
  AFAIAC the latter is only a GoodThing (although I'd much prefer if
  they simply weren't here at all). It is only natural that the Trolls
  would therefore attack these stats and find a way of disrupting this
  activity. Let them, they are wasting their breath. I might be inclined
  to release the results of my little Perl-learning exercise one day,
  but never at the demand of a bunch of Trolls ... ever. We need to keep
  some perspective on this situation - it is *only* a script for God's
  sake; the Trolls are making a mountain out of a molehill. Let them
  sing for it ... it's funny.

But like I said, I have no exclusive rights to this script, and I'm
nobody's keeper, so any of the other current owners are free to do what
they like with it. Although I would stress again, that they should
consider who is making these demands, and who's needs they are serving.

[1] http://brock-marshall.no-ip.info/~robert/newsstat.pl

[2]

.----
| From: mrloy@xxxxxxxxx (Roy Culley)
| Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
| Subject: Re: COLA Stats: Saturday the 24th of February, 2007.
| Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 23:57:22 +0100
|
| "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx> writes:
| >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out this bit o'
| >> wisdom:

| > Roy Culley, the original author, left the code unlicensed, and
| > therefore technically I have no clear rights to publish or
| > redistribute.
| >
| > OK, so it's only a script, but I'm a firm believer in principles.
|
| Thank you. Mark told me he had sent the script to you. What you do
| with the script is totally up to you IMHO. My only reservation is
| that, as its a simple script, the wintrolls might just have the
| brains to hack it to produce distorted stats. A big if of course. :-)
|
| > I'm not the only one here that Roy passed that script on to, so if
| > somebody else publishes, it's none of my business.
|
| [...]
|
| Do with it as you will [H]omer. GPL it if you want.

K.
http://slated.org

.----
| I found [Vista] to be a dangerously unstable operating system,
| which has caused me to lose data ... unfortunately this product
| is unfit for any user. - [H]ardOCP, <http://tinyurl.com/3bpfs2>
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5
 18:25:06 up 13 days, 15:57,  4 users,  load average: 0.22, 0.25, 0.39