Re: OEM's are resisting ..

  • Subject: Re: OEM's are resisting ..
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 08:12:08 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ [H]omer ] on Tuesday 24 April 2007 06:49 \__

> Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Doug Mentohl belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>>
>>> To: Jon Shirly
>>> From: Scott Oki
>>> DATE: 23 January 1985
>>> RE: OEM Price List
>>> Cc: Bill Gates; Steve Baller; Jim Harris; Carl Stock; Bob O'Rear; Ron
>>> Hosogi
>>>
>>> . . .
>>>
>>> For MS-DOS, OEMs will view increasing our prices by 300% as pure linacy
>>> and extremely rude. I believe that it would polarize our OEMs to license
>>> Concurrent PC-DOS from DRI. Therefore, I recommend strongly that prices
>>> for MS-DOS 2.x and 3.x remain unchanged from version 6.0.
>>>
>>> For MS-DOS 4.0, I think we have an oppurtunity to raise our prices. This
>>> would be justified on the basis of having a superior product compared to
>>> Concurrent (I hope this iws tru by the time 4.0 ships).
>>
>> The pricing for Vista seems a lot like that.  Almost $100 in WalMart to
>> purchase an /upgrade/ to Vista Home Basic.
>
> Is that the version with the Genuine-Advantage® of no networking, no
> drivers, no access to backups, and no Aero, but the same industry
> standard bugs and bloat that Microsoft customers have come to love and
> respect?

I'm not sure about lack of networking (maybe it's something more specific),
but no machines out there (not even $3000 business laptop) are delivered
with Ultimate, based on something I read last month. It's all just Teaser
Edition with a hidden cost. The functionality is there, but it's locked.
'Functionality hostage' would be a nice term here... it's right there saying
you can do /X/, but you must pay /Y/ for /X/. It's like subscription/use
based payment for software, which is something Microsoft tested/patented,
IIRC. Even access to your backups (which are there) can resort to extortion.
It's like a draug dealer/addict affair.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Did anyone see my lost carrier?"
  8:05am  up 13 days  7:33,  5 users,  load average: 0.34, 0.82, 0.91