Re: [News] Another Interview with the Leader of the Debian Project

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> All roads lead to Debian
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | If most of the Linux distributions derive from either Slackware or
> | Debian, why not just go to the source? Slackware looks way too hard to
> | figure out, but Debian, which just released version 4.0, offers a
> | net-install ISO -- and I've always wanted to install a distro over
> | the Internet -- so I burned the CD this morning and am currently
> | installing a Debian system over the Internet.
> `----
>
> http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/04/all_roads_lead_to_debian.html

I too can recomend Debian via the web. But unlike the writer I would
recomend not getting greedy with packages at install time. The Internet
isn't as quick as a DVD install, you could potentially endup leaving the
install running for longer than it would have taken the iso to download.

So instead take the base system and your prefered main shell, maybe a couple
of little apps to get you started. You then get a quick win that will spur
you on. Then add the rest as and when you want them, adding software is
always easy with apt-get.