Re: [News] Preparation for Vista Leads to Linux

BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Preparing for Vista -- Part 2
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | However, if you do decide, like me, to install a nice shiny new hard
>> | drive and go for it partition it first. If I called the Vista partition
>> | tool garbage it would be elevating it to a status it does not deserve;
>> | Vista needs no more than 30GB to play with but this tool will only
>> | allow you to split the hard drive into 2; which when you have 250GB
>> | is not what you want; you can achieve the partitioning quite easily
>> | using the free Linux tool GParted, http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ ,
>> | or via your preferred software.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | So what do I think so far; despite my gripes I like it. For the
>> | time being, Darth and I have gone back to XP for the sake of
>> | convenience and saving a lot of money but I do have plans to dual
>> | boot with Vista and I am currently also considering a triple boot with
>> | Ubuntu -- all things for the future, tested via MS Virtual PC or I will
>> | be the first person to be a victim of a PC mounted Death Ray according
>> | to Darth.
>> `----
>>
>> http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmaddicts/2007/04/preparing_for_v.html
>
> I couldn't be arsed with dual booting any more. One OS that does
> everything

Then don't. Use VMWare. I only boot to XP to play games occasionally now.

> Xen for home use. There are times when it seems wastefull in that situation,
> but other times I see it as a very good way to truely seperate my work at
> home from my home life. Currently both jobs are so tightly integrated that
> it is often hard to tell which is which. Seperate login's is actually more
> awkward than helpfull, so I use a single login for both.

Dangerous for one very good reason .....

> Accidentally including the document scan of my household insurance details
> in a gzipped directory sent to the H&S office for inclusion in a
> factory

Which you just discovered ....

> incident report was probably the final straw. Mind it was funny, because
> the girl at the H&S office said she had read the insurance document a few
> times and could not see how it related to the incident.
>
> So really like the idea of fully seperating home/work at home without a
> different login but without the need of a seperate server. A sort of

Whats wrong with a different login?

--
"There is no such thing as intellectual property" - Marky Kent (in COLA  Nov-2006)