Re: [News] Preparation for Vista Leads to Linux

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Preparing for Vista -- Part 2
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | However, if you do decide, like me, to install a nice shiny new hard
> | drive and go for it partition it first. If I called the Vista partition
> | tool garbage it would be elevating it to a status it does not deserve;
> | Vista needs no more than 30GB to play with but this tool will only
> | allow you to split the hard drive into 2; which when you have 250GB
> | is not what you want; you can achieve the partitioning quite easily
> | using the free Linux tool GParted, http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ ,
> | or via your preferred software.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | So what do I think so far; despite my gripes I like it. For the
> | time being, Darth and I have gone back to XP for the sake of
> | convenience and saving a lot of money but I do have plans to dual
> | boot with Vista and I am currently also considering a triple boot with
> | Ubuntu -- all things for the future, tested via MS Virtual PC or I will
> | be the first person to be a victim of a PC mounted Death Ray according
> | to Darth.
> `----
>
> http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmaddicts/2007/04/preparing_for_v.html

I couldn't be arsed with dual booting any more. One OS that does everything
is enough for me. I should imagine there are many a time you decide to do
something and realise that particular thing is in another boot, after all,
if that situation didn't ever arise then they would be no value in wasteing
space with alternate operating systems, unless you were only doing it for
testing purposes of cause. There is a better way.

Having said that I don't di dual boots, although one OS does fine, one PC
doesn't. My home setup I have the Smoothewall server, feeding the wireless
access point and hardwired home server/client with wifi'd bits and bobs
scattered around the house.

The server/client has my best graphics and a much more powerfull CPU than
the laptops, plus of cause the server has much more free time on it's hands
than the laptops do. So as well as normal server services, that machine
does the downloading and through X or sitting at it as a client anything
that the laptop tends to be slower at doing, such as various rendering of
hi-def pictures or video editing, soon will get the media streaming back (
it was working great but had to change things for better work access to
have temporarily lost it ).

I don't do any samba at home, there isn't really a need when you are 100%
Linux. Instead I use an nfs tree for data areas, every item on the network
is named so desktop links get me anywhere I want to go example
\\PrintServer\HP4215

Though I have no interest in dual boot, I am building a need for a seperate
server, one for work and the other for home.

Xen for home use. There are times when it seems wastefull in that situation,
but other times I see it as a very good way to truely seperate my work at
home from my home life. Currently both jobs are so tightly integrated that
it is often hard to tell which is which. Seperate login's is actually more
awkward than helpfull, so I use a single login for both.

Accidentally including the document scan of my household insurance details
in a gzipped directory sent to the H&S office for inclusion in a factory
incident report was probably the final straw. Mind it was funny, because
the girl at the H&S office said she had read the insurance document a few
times and could not see how it related to the incident.

So really like the idea of fully seperating home/work at home without a
different login but without the need of a seperate server. A sort of
xen_home and xen_work, at each client I am either working in xen_home or
xen_work. No boots involved or any other faffy nonesense.

For testers though, Xen offers a much easier path than dual booting ever
could.