[News] OpenOffice Worries Microsoft, Yahoo Grabs Large Advertisements Piece of the Pie

Microsoft's Ballmer having a 'great time'

,----[ Quote ]
| [Ballmer:] We have competition from OpenOffice. We have competition from
| StarOffice. We're going to have competition from Google. We have
| competition from IBM. And competition is a very good thing for
| Google to give us, and for us to give Google.
|
| Q: I use Word, I use Excel. And I don't use half the features
| they've got. Have you reached a point where, sure, you can keep
| adding more features, but who needs them?
`----

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/2007-04-29-ballmer-ceo-forum-usat_N.htm?csp=N008

Yahoo! buys! ad! exchange!

,----[ Quote ]
| Right Media runs an exchange for ad agencies to buy advertising inventory.
| It claims to offer a more transparent way for advertisers and publishers
| to deal with their ad inventory - because inventory is auctioned you can
| see who is paying for what. In February the company claimed to have
| traded 566 billion page impressions in the previous six months.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/30/yahoo_buys_right/

Microsoft remains with a miniscule market share and little hope for the
future (another executive left just days ago).

Related:

News Analysis: Microsoft General Counsel on DoubleClick and Antitrust

,----[ Quote ]
| This raises a very important question - why didn't Microsoft match Google's
| $3.1 billion offer. Smith would not comment on this, but I can report from
| very good sources that in fact the company did offer to match it, and was
| willing to pay even more to insure that Google did not corner the online ad
| market. But for whatever reasons, the private equity firm that owned the
| majority of DoubleClick's shares decided to go with Google.
|
| [...]
|
| I asked Smith about the irony of Microsoft asking the government to
| support it on antitrust. His response was interesting.
`----

http://battellemedia.com/archives/003561.php

Yet another Microsoft search exec calls it quits

,----[ Quote ]
| In March, Blake Irving, the Corporate VP in charge of the Windows
| Live platform, announced his plans to leave Microsoft, effective
| this summer. Payne announced his resignation from Microsoft shortly
| after Irving made his announcement.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=407

Microsoft Continues to Lose Online Popularity

,----[ Quote ]
| This week's Emarketer and Comscore reports drive home Microsoft's
| continuing fall from online
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070326/30668_id.html?.v=1

Microsoft Windows Live VP to resign

,----[ Quote ]
| Blake Irving, a Corporate Vice President in Microsoft's Windows
| Live Platform group, is resigning his post, according to sources
| close to the company.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=296

Microsoft Search Leader To Leave Company

,----[ Quote ]
| The Microsoft Corp. vice president who led the company's push into
| Internet search is leaving the software giant as the effort he
| helped launch loses ground against lead competitor Google Inc.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/preview_login.html?url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB117329976478329930.html%3Fmod%3Dyahoo_hs%26ru%3Dyahoo
http://tinyurl.com/2jran7

Google manager: Google Apps replaced Microsoft Office at 100,000 businesses

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's newly released online productivity suite Google Apps has
| already replaced Microsoft Office at more than 100,000 small to
| medium enterprises and has been deployed at two of the largest
| companies in the world, according to the search leader's
| enterprise product boss.

100,000,000 OpenOffice.org fans can't be wrong

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2006/11/100000000_openo.html