Re: More evidence that Vista "sales" are fake

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Monday 30 April 2007 01:11 \__

> How Microsoft pretends to flog Vista:
>
> .----
> | This isn't much of a mystery. Please allow me a moment to pass along
> | what I know.
> |
> | We had MS reps in about a month ago touting how wonderful Vista is.
> | We have about 10k client computers, about 40% Macs mind you. Still
> | that leaves us with about 6000 systems that run some flavor of
> | Windows. The vast majority of that is Windows XP Pro 32bit w/ SP2. We
> | manage all of our Windows clients with Server 2003.
> |
> | We just rolled out about 500 new IBM/Lenovo business class machines
> | for a small project. All of those machines officially come with Vista
> | Business.
> |
> | However since we have no plans to roll out Vista on the desktop
> | anytime soon since it is "cludgeware," we are allowed to "downgrade"
> | our license to XP and still be in MS compliance.
> |
> | We are in K12 education in the NE USA. I would imagine this is
> | happening all over the country with business sales. Perhaps globally.
> | You would know that better than I given that your HQ is on the big
> | island across the pond. :)
> |
> | Officially the computer goes out the door with Vista, it arrives on
> | site, Vista gets blown away and our image of XP Pro is put on. MS
> | still counts the box as a Vista sale however.
> |
> | MS is clever and pretty good at marketing even if they make a
> | horribly bloated OS.
> |
> | My .02 and thanks for listening.
> |
> | JGL
> `----
>
>  - http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39258
>
> How many supposed sales of this "horribly bloated" "cludgeware" results
> in it being replaced with XP or Linux? Are Microsoft adjusting their
> "sales" figures accordingly?

Oops. I posted this shortly after you did. The whole argument from the likes
of Bill Weisgerber (e.g. "Everyone will have Vista on a new PC") goes down
the wastebasket. Let's not forget open source and Linux PCs from major OEMs
like Dell...

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Seeing bad movies only encourages them"
Tasks: 113 total,   1 running, 110 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie