Re: [News] PC Magazine: Microsoft Should Start Worrying

__/ [ John Locke ] on Sunday 29 April 2007 23:32 \__

>>Consider this:
>>
>>1) Your company is no longer in control of it's documents.  Deride all you
>>want about Microsoft's "lock-in", but you still have physical control over
>>the document, and can determine who does and doesn't see it.  You control
>>how it's backed up, or whether or not it's encrypted.  With web based
>>applications, none of that is possible, which means it's in violation of
>>many federal regulations to use such tools, including Hippa.
>>
>>2) Web-based apps only work when you're online.  Suppose your T1 goes down
>>10 minutes before the proposal is due, or you need to do work while on the
>>airplane or in some other internet inaccessible place.
>>
>>3) Web-based apps are limited in functionality, and likely always will be.
>>
> You make some good points. I don't think I could convince the boss to
> put our very sensitive data on a server outside of our domain. This
> was the first thing I thought about when I heard about Google's
> service. I don't think its for me.
>
> On the other hand, there may be people with data that isn't sensitive
> like fish hatchery counts for July 2004. I mean, who would want to
> steal that ? And I think the backup at Google is probably very good.
> But then again, I haven't tried to delete anthing and then recover it.
>
> I quess we just have to wait and see how this pans out.  One thing
> its got going is its FREE ! ...that's usually enough insentive to at
> least try the service.

You're missing an important point here. Much and many of these services can
be run locally. In fact, Google gives appliances that run Google Web-based
software without ever getting in touch with Google. The argument made by
Erik is the most commmon form of FUD that you see around the Web. It is
spewed out by every company whose desktop software comes under fire by SOA.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Vista: as the reputation of "Longhorn" was mucked
         run-level 5  Apr 28 15:45                   last=S