*Everyone* should start worrying (was Re: [News] PC Magazine: Microsoft Should Start Worrying)

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Erik Funkenbusch
<erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sun, 29 Apr 2007 03:55:06 -0500
<1mhoy5dwz0df2$.dlg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 04:43:19 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Time for Microsoft to Start Worrying
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Behind all this is Google's understanding that the future of software
>>| lies in Web-based applications.
>
> Except the future does *NOT* lay in web-based applications.

Indeed.  The future lies with Microsoft, along with the
Bush Administration and to a lesser extent certain elements
of Corporate America and the Republican Party.

(Ick.)

What's the truth nowadays?  Good luck.  The news orgs
are melting and decaying; "investigative reporters" are a
dying breed as no one wants to take courage and find out
what's really going on in the trenches.  With the Internet,
any competent Web designer can mimic a reputable news site
(though not for that long, unless he can mimic the newsfeed
as well).  Can Joe User tell the diff?

Some computer cards lie like rugs.  For those using Linux, do a

# fdisk /dev/hda
# dmesg

then Google the part number.  (I don't know what Microsoft
offers in this arena although DOS fdisk might report the
number of cylinders.)

My hda on my one system is an older model Quantum Fireball
(40 GB, serviceable, if a bit small nowadays).  fdisk
says it has 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 524 cylinders.
says it has 4 heads, which is far more reasonable --
and I suspect one of them is used for servo control,
indicating sector positioning on the other surfaces.

The reasons chiefly lie with badly designed BIOSes, which
have since been fixed, but the boards still misreport the
specs, and probably will for awhile.

Caveat browser, and welcome to the New World Order.

[rest snipped]

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
New Technology?  Not There.  No Thanks.