Re: [News] Software is Becoming a (Linux-based) Service

__/ [ flyer ] on Monday 30 April 2007 01:24 \__

> In article <2012725.1de88x9Bt6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx says...
>> Opening SaaS for open source
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Lumen is targeting its platform at PHP developers (reportedly a gang
>> | of some five million-plus) wishing to provide SaaS to end-users, but
>> | want to develop with open source standard tools running on a
>> | Linux Apache/PostgreSQL/PHP server stack.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.crmchump.org/2007/04/opening_saas_fo.html
>>
>> Heeeeeere's The Next SOA Vendor To Be Acquired!
>>

> Just imagine all that rock solid Linux interconnected across the
> internet. It will actually squeeze MS out.
>
> The utter lack of oppressive control just severely invites people to
> build anything they want to add to all the Linux power and even
> excitement being generated.
>
> Don't have to worry about some corporate clown issuing stupid profit
> motivated orders.

What bothers me more is the system which runs on the client. These concerns
are abated by the knowledge that IE has lost its dominance and prevalent Web
standards ensure that server-bound applications are equally accessible from
Solaris, Mac OS, GNU/Linux, etc. It's Utopian to those that favour choice.
Even the Web browser is not an issue... be it Opera, or Safari, or
Konqueror, or Mozilla. Then, the better underlying platform will win, with
merits such as security playing a role. The whole aspect of application
compatibility is passe. People know this, but the monopolist will try to
deny and confuse. The usual selling point needn't be repeated, but what
comes to mind is:

* Centralise backup
* Easy sharing and collaboration
* Local (intranet) servers, and/or encryption
* No need to reimage machines, which helps in case of hardware failures,
software glitches
* Patch once, fix everywhere...
* Facilitate monitoring...
* ...

As I've said above, Linux will probably be there in the back room, but that's
not the point to be distrcted by. The main point to make here is that
clients no longer have software compatibility as a factor. They just need to
run the Web browser. Firefox 3.0 will even support offline access/use of
Web-based applications.

Microsoft knows this. It tries to corrupt this cross-platform Utopia with
Silverlight, which is /NOT/ compatible with Linux. It's like ActiveX and
VBScript all over again, shall developers be lured in (in an ignorant
fashion) by Microsoft's claims that Silverlight is open source and is cross
platform (it is /NOT/, but Microsoft says so. We need a 'terminology police'
to find this type of abuse).

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Viruses to Linux are like cancer to a shark
         run-level 5  Apr 28 15:45                   last=S