Re: the extraordinary failure of anti-virus technology ..

  • Subject: Re: the extraordinary failure of anti-virus technology ..
  • From: Hadron Quark <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 00:01:05 +0200
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:LW2ZyifQowJu7xm/8MsDI6qPMHo=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
ed <ed@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 19:03:57 +0100
> Doug Mentohl <doug_mentohl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> 'Anti-virus technology fails to prevent computers from virus
>> infections. And because it fails, it inadvertently assists many
>> security woes that plague the computer population'
>>
>> 'The AV technology vendors have simply taken the wrong approach. They
>> have built âburglar alarmsâ that will only alert you if a known
>> burglar tries to enter the house. The real solution is to have a
>> âburglar alarmâ that sounds when anyone you donât know tries to enter
>> the house'
>>
>> http://www.securewave.com/data/?id=WCMContenido%20M24641728552346~S699248~N070202_SecureWave_WP-hb.pdf
>
> personally, worms are more of a problem than a virus. viruses are
> limited to single computers, worms operate on a network and use
> security vulnerabilities to replicate.

This is, as we have come to expect, a distortion of the truth. A Virus
can replicate between multiple computers when it is activated - normally
with human assistance.

> AV software is more or less the last mile. firewalls should be more of
> a concern.

Would you like to expand on this.

> of course, one has a better stand point with something like openbsd and
> debian where only firewalls are required. the security teams there are
> extremely efficient, and the nature of openbsd prefers to panic rather
> than let something access memory that it should not. i prefer that
> philosophy.

Almost Roy'esque.

--
Whenever a man does a thoroughly stupid thing, it is always from the noblest motives.