Re: Ohio Audit Says Diebold Vote Database May Have Been Corrupted

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Saturday 28 April 2007 09:00 \__

>> __/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 27 April 2007 23:09 \__
>>
>>> Quote:
>>> ---------------
>>> Problems found in an audit of Diebold tabulation records from an Ohio
>>> November 2006 election raise questions about whether the database got
>>> corrupted during the tabulation of election results...
>>>
>>> The database is built from Microsoft's Jet database engine. The
>>> engine, according to Microsoft, is vulnerable to corruption when a lot
>>> of concurrent activity is happening with the database, such as what
>>> occurs on an election night [and Microsoft advises againt using Jet in
>>> a complex environment]...
>
> And *this* was their *voting machine*?
>
> Good grief!
>
>>> The report mentions that election staff had trouble with the server
>>> crashing and freezing on election night....
>
> Really, why is that?
>
>>> Diebold voting machines operate on Microsoft Windows
>
> Are they bragging or complaining?
>
>>> and rely on closed source for security.
>
> Security through obscurity. Yup, that works.

Secure from inspect[ion|ors].

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: just set it and forget about it
Tasks: 108 total,   1 running, 106 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie