Re: Microsoft posts a net profit of $4.93 billion (Thank you Vista), beating expectations

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft posts a net profit of $4.93 billion (Thank you Vista), beating expectations
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:50:50 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ robot.from.outer.space@xxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 27 April 2007 10:29 \__

> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft Corp. posted a 65 percent rise in quarterly profit
> | Thursday, topping Wall Street estimates thanks to better
> | than expected demand for its new Windows Vista operating system.

Steve Ballmer was lying?

Ballmer delivers sobering message at Microsoft event

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. Chief Executive Steve Ballmer tempered the
| expectations of analysts at an event Thursday, telling them
| their predictions for sales of the company's new operating
| system are too high, while those for its operating expenses
| may be too low.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/ballmer-delivers-sobering-message-microsoft/story.aspx?guid=%7BCFADFB4D%2D7D86%2D4A0A%2DA233%2D1D18F48F82F7%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo
http://tinyurl.com/2juebs

How about this one article, among so many the say the same thing?

No Touchdowns for Tech Bellwethers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/apr2007/tc20070417_259787.htm?campaign_id=yhoo
http://tinyurl.com/35k99u

http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/26/technology/microsoft.reut/index.htm?section=money_latest

> I thought Microsoft was going down, what happened? :(

They are hiding the full stories from you. See some of the earlier messages
post to this newsgroup. It is mastery of diguising a failure and
marketing/PR is something that Microsoft is particularly strong at, unlike
for example production of solid software.

,----[ Quote ]
| But Microsoft has taken a series of steps to reduce its cash
| balance. Specifically, by Microsoft's count, the company has
| paid out nearly $100 billion through dividends and repurchasing
| its own stock in the past five years.
`----

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/309852_software02.html

Deep pockets can hide a failure, but only temporarily. At this pace, the cash
reserves might run out within a couple of years. What then?

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Roughly 2% of your keyboard is O/S-specific
         run-level 5  Apr 14 23:12                   last=S