Re: Science and Nature reject Office 2007 manuscripts

__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Thursday 26 April 2007 22:56 \__

> Blog quotes Science magazine release:
> ---------------
> Because of changes Microsoft has made in its recent Word release that
> are incompatible with our internal workflow, which was built around
> previous versions of the software, Science cannot at present accept
> any files in the new .docx format produced through Microsoft Word
> 2007, either for initial submission or for revision. Users of this
> release of Word should convert these files to a format compatible with
> Word 2003 or Word for Macintosh 2004 (or, for initial submission, to a
> PDF file) before submitting to Science.
> ---------------------
>
> and another one:
> ---------------------
> Users of Word 2007 should also be aware that equations created with
> the default equation editor included in Microsoft Word 2007 will be
> unacceptable in revision, even if the file is converted to a format
> compatible with earlier versions of Word; this is because conversion
> will render equations as graphics and prevent electronic printing of
> equations, and because the default equation editor packaged with Word
> 2007 -- for reasons that, quite frankly, utterly baffle us -- was not
> designed to be compatible with MathML. Regrettably, we will be forced
> to return any revised manuscript created with the Word 2007 default
> equation editor to authors for re-editing. To get around this, please
> use the MathType equation editor or the equation editor included in
> previous versions of Microsoft Word.
> ------------------------
>
> and from Nature:
> ------------------
> We currently cannot accept files saved in Microsoft Office 2007
> formats. Equations and special characters (for example, Greek letters)
> cannot be edited and are incompatible with Nature's own editing and
> typesetting programs.
> -----------------------
>
> http://www.robweir.com/blog/
>
> A while back DFS was telling me that he still uses older versions of
> Office---his point was that he had experienced no forced upgrade---but
> it looks like if you want to communicate with people who use Office
> 2007, you will have to upgrade, unless you seal yourself off from that
> community,  or force them to convert to compatible formats, if you
> can, as Nature and Science have done.

Publish And Perish

,----[ Quote ]
| Alexander Rose, the executive director of the futurist Long Now
| Foundation, worries about the impermanence of digital information.
| "If you save that computer for 100 years, will the electrical plugs
| look the same?" he asks. "The Mac or the PC--will they be around?
| If they are, what about the software? " So far there's no business
| case for digital preservation--in fact, for software makers like
| Microsoft, planned obsolescence is the plan.
|            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|
| "The reality is that it's in companies' interest that software should
| become obsolete and that you should have to buy every upgrade,"
| Rose says. We could be on the cusp of a turning point, though, in the
| way businesses and their customers think about digital preservation.
| "Things will start to change when people start losing all of their personal
|                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| photos," Rose said.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2006/11/30/books-information-preservation-tech-media_cx_ee_books06_1201acid.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/yyjqoh

I bet HD (so-called JPEG 'killer') will have DRM 'extensions'. The above
statement becomes a reality. I can't find it quickly, but Sun's Schwartz
recently wrote in his blog an item on personal photos (at least that was the
title... 'my family photos' or something like that). He stressed the
importance of being able to access old data, which is why they work very
hard on ODF adoption. I think the context of this blog item was their
collaboration with Google (over Google Apps).

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> wget -r -erobots=off http://www.*