[News] OpenOffice Gets Blogging Addon

Do you really need Sun Weblog Publisher?

,----[ Quote ]
| Suddenly, every application on the desktop seems to be adding a
| blogging extension. Sun Microsystems' offering is the Sun Weblog
| Publisher (SWP) for StarOffice and OpenOffice.org.
`----

http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/12/1912230&from=rss

Many other features and addons have been appearing recently. Suddenly it
seems like Microsoft Office is being left behind because it does not thrive
in an open development community that collaborates.

Related:

Microsoft Office rivals advance

,----[ Quote ]
| Rivals to Microsoft's Office productivity suite are sharpening up
| their game. The OpenOffice.org community is planning to add reports
| to its database, while SoftMaker is to extend its productivity
| line-up with a database, presentation tool and scripting language.
`----

http://www.pcw.co.uk/itweek/news/2188237/microsoft-office-rivals-advance

A new Spring season for OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| I found out that OpenOffice.org and Sun in general are in a much better
| shape than they were just 8 months ago. First, Sun is doing better
| financially and they have managed to go back to a volume of sales
| unprecedented since 2001. That's good news, because it means that
| the financial pressure has finally faded away. But Sun's new
| software strategy, which is to open source its whole software
| stack is apparently paying off and that means that OpenOffice.org
| (and ODF, to be sure) has become a central part of Sun's strategy.
`----

http://www.libervis.com/blogs/5/charles/a_new_spring_season_for_openofficeorg

The GravityZoo OOo porting project

,----[ Quote ]
| When OpenOffice.org is "GravityZood", it will become a suite of
| productivity applications that are always available, online, via a broad
| range of devices. It will be possible to share and collaborate in
| real-time, to switch from one device (e.g. a PC) to another (Mobile)
| device. There will also be no need to save data, because everything you
| produce is saved automatically on the network. There is no need to
| download, install or update, the latest version is just available and
| accessible from any GravityZoo enabled client.
`----

http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=19660

Next OpenOffice release to include Pentaho BI

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source business intelligence software vendor Pentaho Corp. is
| hoping a new tie-up unveiled Thursday with the OpenOffice.org
| community and Sun Microsystems Inc. will bring its BI offerings
| to the attention of many more new users.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/041907-next-openoffice-release-to-include.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news
http://tinyurl.com/ywysvf

And the centre of your desktop is...

,----[ Quote ]
| We had an overwhelming response to our reader poll in this area with over
| 4,800 of you participating, so thanks to those who took the time.
|
| [...]
|
| The only competition at the moment is from open source office suites,
| OpenOffice in particular, which around one in five Reg readers are
| personally using.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/20/desktop_office_suites/

Google manager: Google Apps replaced Microsoft Office at 100,000 businesses

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's newly released online productivity suite Google Apps has
| already replaced Microsoft Office at more than 100,000 small to
| medium enterprises and has been deployed at two of the largest
| companies in the world, according to the search leader's
| enterprise product boss.

100,000,000 OpenOffice.org fans can't be wrong

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2006/11/100000000_openo.html