Re: [News] Microsoft Tries to Suck Up to Open Source Companies

__/ [ Guy Fawkes ] on Thursday 26 April 2007 08:02 \__

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schreef in bericht
>> The "it's not us versus them" meme
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | I really don't know, and I don't want to impugn anyone's motives. I
>> | just find it odd. It seems odd in the extreme that it is Microsoft
>> | suggesting that this is not "us versus them." Not because it's not
>> | true (it may or may not be), but because its representatives feel
>> | the need to repeat this over and over and over again. In what way(s)
>> | can this possibly be in its interests? What goals does it hope to
>> | accomplish? What threats is it hoping to hold off?
>> `----
>>
>> http://asay.blogspot.com/2007/04/interoperability-meme.html
>>
>> After their blatantly anti-Linux/OSS campaigns, the explicit legal
>> warnings,
>> the Halloween Memos etc. this seems like a case of Microsoft giving up and
>> trying the Trojan horse approach. Disgraceful.
>
> Microsoft has been trying to hire prominent Open Source developers for some
> time know, the most famous one being Richard Stallman (or was it Bruce
> Perens?), to try and undermine the OSS community. It wil fail, off course,
> since if the OSS programmers were in it for the money they would have
> worked on commercial projects and products. It does bother me that there
> are a lot of products which are only partial open-source to gain a user
> base, but are really commercial. The only good thing about these is that we
> can always fork them, and hijack them.

I'm still waiting for a fork of SUSE.

As for hiring, they tried to snatch ESR. Also see:

Microsoft hiring "open source evangelist"?

,----[ Quote ]
| A friend pinged me and said he'd gotten a call from a
| Microsoft recruiter trying to fill a position she described
| as "open source evangelist."
`----

http://community.linux.com/community/06/12/20/1844217.shtml?tid=19

They already have Bill Hilf going around the Microsoft magazines (Redmond
something) and pretending to like open source, but at the same time throwing
acid in our faces. A careful look at the words shows that he's no better
than a Martin Taylor/Steve Ballmer with a sensitive approach. In Open Source
events, they also walk around trying to hire (intervene), according to
something Matt Asay wrote last year.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    /earth: file system full
  8:05am  up 11 days  7:33,  5 users,  load average: 1.01, 1.08, 1.16