Re: [News] Vista the Point of No Recovery, Kaspersky Says It Will Drive Away Users

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Wednesday 25 April 2007 08:28 \__

>> Vista recovery disk with your PC sir? No can do...
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | You're on your own, it seems, as neither Novatech nor Microsoft will
>> | issue recovery disks, even if you offer to cross their palm with silver.
>> `----
>
> This is getting ridiculous. First no networking or access to backups for
> Home Basic, now no recovery discs. Put aside my obvious biases,
> regardless of what I think of the Windows platform in general, or
> proprietary licensing ... Vista is a joke. No really, it is. Promise.

They should call it Lemon Edition.

Acer: Vista Home Basic is a lemon

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is effectively smuggling through a price hike for Windows
| Vista - by making the entry-level version so poor that no-one will
| want to use it. So says Jim Wong, senior veep at Acer, the world's
| number four PC maker, who told UK hack Jon Honeyball: "The new
| [Vista] experience you hear of, if you get Basic, you won't feel
| it at all. There's no [Aero] graphics, no Media Center, no
|                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| remote control."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/27/acer_slams_vista_home_basic/

Steer Clear of Windows Vista Basic

,----[ Quote ]
| So beware, friends, of too-cheap Vista systems. They may be
| running Home Basic, and that means they may not be ready to
| fulfill anyone's 21st-century computing needs.

Want Those Backed Up Files? You've Gotta Upgrade Vista.

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, the cheapo versions of Microsoft's new OS make backups of
| your files using the Previous Versions feature, but you aren't
| able to access them without upgrading to Vista Business,
| Enterprise, or Ultimate.
`----

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/pcs/want-those-backed-up-files-youve-gotta-upgrade-vista-251509.php

What a waste of disk space, RAM, and CPU.

Vista Backups [Rant]

,----[ Quote ]
| So here I am with Micorosoft's "Greatest New Operating System" and
| I'm using an old command prompt program "xxcopy" to do a better
|                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| backup than Vista can. I'm still wondering why Microsoft even made
| a Home Premium version because there is nothing Premium about it.
| It's missing many features that XP Pro has like FTP Server,Remote
| Desktop, a useful Backup program. I refuse to pay an extra $150
| to upgrade to Ultimate just on principle. That's what Microsoft
| wants, to lure you in by having you buy a lower version of Vista
| thinking it would at least have the same features as XP, only to
| find out you need the Ultimate version to have those same features.
`----

http://www.technogab.com/?p=85

Rootkits, Bootkits, Viruses & Windows VISTA

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://tpmboys.blogspot.com/2007/03/rootkits-bootkits-viruses-vista.html

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "How do I set my laser printer on stun?"
 11:05am  up 10 days 10:33,  3 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.23, 0.41