Re: Vista Takes Another Bizarre Approach to Pseudo Security

On Apr 24, 3:22 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Program Names govern admin rights in Vista
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "This is a little bit silly: just name the installer something
> | else, and Vista lets it through," Chess said. He added that
> | although the feature is imperfect and inconvenient, it's
> | "better than nothing".
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/23/vista_program_naming_oddness/
>
> Workarounds, hacks, and some loose 'security' bolted in on top. How about
> rebuilding the operating system? This is just as lame as managing
> execution/handling privileges based on file extensions (filenames).

This doesn't mean that any piece of malware can get administrator
privileges just by changing its name, unless it could get the user to
enter a password, if I understand it correctly.  OTOH it does mean
that software intended for one user only will always install with more
privilege than it needs (for the installation).  Unless I'm missing
something I don't see how this feature makes it easier for malware,
but it does seem a kludgy and ugly design.