Re: [News] Microsoft Protestor in China Triggers Free Software Debate in Nation

__/ [ John Locke ] on Tuesday 24 April 2007 18:58 \__

>>The reason we have PC's is because IBM permitted the architecture to be
>>remain open. This meant that there was competition providing PC's and hence
>>there was the best bang per buck.
>>
>>Microsoft has been riding on the coat tails of the PC's success.
>>Unfortunately, Microsoft has gotten greedy and has more or less killed the
>>IT industry by stripping all the money that should have gone into R&D and
>>put it into its own pockets. Even worse than that, because Microsoft simply
>>steals other's ideas, it is not possible to get venture capital to develop
>>a new product for the computer mass market.
>>
>>The only way that that balance can be restored is if no one owns the OS.
>>Then and only then can there be true competition in the computer industry.
>>Currently, Linux is the best candidate for providing OS freedom that is
>>needed to breath life back into to the computer industry.
>>
>>Those that are happy with the status quo are those that are happy with
>>software engineers earning less than labourers.
>>
>>Ian
> Nice summary. Well said.
>
> Microsoft, however, will never yield to the Open Source philosophy.
> They will continue will their unethical agenda of patent infringement
> allegations. They will continue to make sordid deals like those with
> Novell & now Samsung which are meant as warnings to the Linux
> community.
>
> Linux, however,  is gaining ground in both consumer awareness and
> technical improvements. Microsoft is aware of this and will play
> dirty. Its almost like a chess game. In the end, however, Microsoft
> will be check mated.
>
> The next few months will prove very interesting.

Xerox as well. That makes 3 with Samsung and Novell.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Every polar bear is left-handed
Cpu(s):  22.3% user,   2.9% system,   0.7% nice,  74.1% idle