Re: [News] Microsoft Protestor in China Triggers Free Software Debate in Nation

Aunty Diluvian wrote:

>>That's it in a nutshell. Its called reality. But Microsoft doesn't get
>>the big picture. And boy is it a BIG picture.
>
> ".....doesn't get the BIG picture"?
>
> Microsoft IS the BIG picture. They are the reason to own a computer.
> Without them what would you Linux cheerleader-girls do.
>
> Without MS the computer you are using would be an abacus
> and you would still be sitting in your Moms basement.

The reason we have PC's is because IBM permitted the architecture to be
remain open. This meant that there was competition providing PC's and hence
there was the best bang per buck.

Microsoft has been riding on the coat tails of the PC's success.
Unfortunately, Microsoft has gotten greedy and has more or less killed the
IT industry by stripping all the money that should have gone into R&D and
put it into its own pockets. Even worse than that, because Microsoft simply
steals other's ideas, it is not possible to get venture capital to develop
a new product for the computer mass market.

The only way that that balance can be restored is if no one owns the OS.
Then and only then can there be true competition in the computer industry.
Currently, Linux is the best candidate for providing OS freedom that is
needed to breath life back into to the computer industry.

Those that are happy with the status quo are those that are happy with
software engineers earning less than labourers.

Ian