[News] Vista: Tried It, Kicked It, Moved to GNU/Linux

Giving Vista the Boot - Back to Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| After approximately a month after the install Vista became very sluggish
| and programs would crash without any particular reason, however they
| would not crash the usual way the would in XP, the program would
| close automatically and a dialog box would pop up letting me know the
| program had closed and it was trying to find a solution for the problem
| and reporting the problem to Microsoft.
|
| I became very fed up with the current setup and decided enough was
| enough. It was time for me to getUbuntu back to some familiarity. I
| decided to download the new version on Ubuntu 7.04 and give it a whirl
| on my system. I got rid of Vista and installed Ubuntu, within
| approximately 15 Mins Ubuntu was ready to go with pretty much most
| of the applications I needed.
`----

http://blog.clickonline.org.au/2007/04/24/giving-vista-the-boot-back-to-ubuntu-linux/

Microsoft would argue that the crashes are actually a feature.

Related:

http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/1174/153mx4.jpg

Microsoft: Word 2007 crashes are a feature, not bug

,----[ Quote ]
| Crashes in Microsoft Word 2007 are designed to improve security,
| says Microsoft
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;377659799

Working around IE7s prompt bug, er feature

,----[ Quote ]
| So while every other browser on the planet can handle javascript
| prompts -- and have done so, pretty much since javascript was
| first stuffed inside the browser -- Microsoft didn't have the
| resources to deal with it and so, effectively, disabled it.
|
| [...]
|
| This stops javascript from continuing until the prompt box is
| addressed, then and only then will the alert box appear. The
| modality of the prompt box prevents javascript from moving on
| until the user has performed some action on the box.
`----

http://www.hunlock.com/blogs/Working_around_IE7s_prompt_bug,_er_feature

The Contradictory State of OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| Other contradictions would seem to be impossible to resolve given the
| nature of OOXML itself, the stated purpose of which is to describe a
| single vendor's product -- bugs and all.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20070117145745854

A most ingenious paradox: make 1900 a leap year?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/01/a_most_ingenious_paradox_make.html