[News] Rumour: Dell and Red Hat Discuss Desktop Linux

Are Dell and Red Hat Discussing a Desktop Linux Deal?

,----[ Quote ]
| Michael Dell himself is running Ubuntu Linux at home--in addition
| to three Windows-based PCs. So there's growing speculation that Dell
| will offer Ubuntu on selected systems. If it's good enough for Michael,
| it's good enough for the rest of us--right?
|
| But wait. Hold everything. Now, sources close to Red Hat tell me the
| company could have some desktop-related news to share in a few weeks
| or by the summer at the latest.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070424/33255_id.html?.v=1

Related:

Dell casts doubts on Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell today revealed that it will restore the option to use Windows XP on
| some of its home systems, marking a potentially damaging blow to
| Microsoft's hopes for the newer Windows Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| While a popular request through the company's IdeaStorm website, the
| choice was substantially outnumbered by requests for pre-installed
| Linux, US-based technical support, and other features -- pointing to a
| larger general demand for the change. The turnaround may be a reflection of
| an overall backlash against Vista, observed IDC analyst Richard Shim.
`----

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/19/dell.casts.doubts.on.vista/

PC Makers Hedge on Vista Effect

,----[ Quote ]