Re: [News] CompUSA Tries Huge Discounts Enticing People to Enter Vista Prison?

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Monday 23 April 2007 16:30 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> Luring people in to the unknown...
>>
>> How about Windows and Office for 3 bucks? People have begun to realise
>> that Windows is not worth the money that it costs. There are free
>> alternatives that are far better.
>>

>> Related:
>>
>> Microsoft cuts Vista price a bit
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Sales of Vista are proving a little slower than Microsoft would like.
>> | One of the reasons might be because of the fairly tough requirements
>> | that the operating systems DRM has about the number of times you can
>> | upgrade hardware before the machine thinks it is looking at a new
>> | operating system.
>> `----
>
> If I was Mr M S Marketing dept, these are the things I have to contend with
> at the moment.
>
> 1. We just recently stung a load of XP users by telling them that their XP
> was not valid, even if those XPs came onboard the PC when the user bought
> it. So now they are users worried about buying an upgrade in case it too
> tells them that it can't upgrade due to their XP not being valid. Including
> the fact that if the user has used up the last of his three lives on XP, it
> may not validate. That is a lot of money to throw away because of cause it
> is impossible to get your money back on anything MS so you have an upgrade
> distro that you can never ever use. If your XP can not be upgraded from
> now, it never can be.
>
> 2. The word about how bad Vista is spread faster than the bubonic plaque.
> All of the music and videos and software that the users have bought over
> the years will be wasted money if they buy or upgrade to Vista. So the true
> price tag of Vista is really,
>         Vista           £144
>         Replace music bought over the years unless it was bought on MSN
>         £???.?? Favourite applications, Photo, Cad, Games, etc £???.??
>
> 3. Loss of peripherals. Hardware doesn't work well with Vista, this is
> coming up time and time again around the internet and the computer press
> (at least the press who actually try it, rather than writing about what
> should happen according to a manual). Printers, webcams, video cams, many
> more.  I know it all boils down to the fact that MS driver changes haven't
> been implemented, but actually driver vendors are finding it very hard to
> make drivers work even with the limited info MS has put out, the system is
> not working, it is a badly designed driver interface, so bad in fact that
> it seems Vista can't even do it right with it's supplied examples.
>
> So, to be Mr M S Marketing dept, but I think I'll leave it to the next man.
> I have the odd flutter on a horse, but only when it's a two horse race and
> I just saw the other horse limping, but taking on Vista marketing, no
> thanks.

I wonder if they will have the ability to delivers another bogus comparison
between XP and Vista sales. Having channel-stuffed the market, they are
probably going to make no shipments any time soon. The art of marketing:
make it look good, even when it's a total flop. Marketing gets a 10 out of
10... for /marketing/ a product that gets 4 out of 10.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: 85% of plant life in in the oceans
         run-level 5  Apr 14 23:12                   last=S