Re: helping Sears rewrite DR-DOS contract ..

__/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Saturday 21 April 2007 17:26 \__

> REDACTED
>
> From: Brad Silverberg
> To: Jon Kecbejian
> Cc: Brad Chase; SYS MS-DOS Marketing Team
> Subject: RE: Sears - Navy Lapheld Contract Win
> Date: Monday, June 01, 1992 2:57 PM
>
> excellent work
>
> From: Jon Kecbejian
> To: Brad Silverberg
> Cc: Brad Chase; SYS MS-DOS Marketing Team
> Subject: Sears - Navy Lapbeld Contract Win
> Date: Monday, June 01, 1992 1:57 PM
>
> Debbie Raa (MS Federal Sales Rep) and I called on Sears Business Systems
> - Federal Group in their Washington, DC, offices on May 13, 1992. Sears
> had recently won the Navy LapHeld contract (25,000 to 75,00 PCs per year
> for three years - the only notebook award in the Federal government)
> which included DR-DOS. Debbie and I met with Sears' technical leads to
> discuss DR-DOS support issues (versus MS-DOS) and the future Windows
> compatibility in an effort to get Sears to replace DR_DOS 6 with MS-DOS
> 5. Sears said they were going with DR-DOS unless DR cannot abide by the
> terms of the Navy contract. Sears was content to let DR assume the risk
> of Windows compatibility.
>
> Debbie Rae and Brett Swartz found a clause in the navy contract
> requiring compatibility with Windows and got the Navy to insist Sears
> honor it. After Debbie and I made clear to Sears DR-DOS and Windows
> compatibility would always be a major issue, as well as DR's regular
> "business" updates for which Sears is responsible, Sears included a
> clause guaranteeing DR-DOS would be compatible with Windows now and in
> the future in Sears' agreement with DR. DR's lawyers refused to sign the
> contract.
>
> In the course of a week Don Hardwick and I were in daily contact with
> Sears to address immediate support and education issues (MS-DOS (JonK)
> and Windows (TyCar)). product needs (creating disk images in 1.44MB
> format so the current Sears packaging could be maintained), and getting
> the OEM agreement signed.
>
> The deal was signed Friday, May 29, with Sears solidly behind MS-DOS and
> already looking to swap the bid applications for Windows and Windows
> applications. Sears expects to sell at least 150,000 PCs over the life
> of this contract to Federal agencies.
>
> Jon
>
> REDACTED
>
> http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/4000/PX04602.pdf

We already know that Microsoft writes sectret contracts that systematically
exclude the rivals and make it impossible for competition to develop or
endure. As we see here, Microsoft also has an obsession with rewriting of
other people's policies and contracts, e.g.

Changing the Report, After the Vote

,----[ Quote ]
| That agreement was nearly imperiled last weekend, though. Gerri
| Elliott, corporate vice president at Microsoft's Worldwide Public
| Sector division, sent an e-mail message to fellow commissioners Friday
| evening saying that she "vigorously" objected to a paragraph in which
| the panel embraced and encouraged the development of open source software
| and open content projects in higher education. The paragraph read like
| this:
|
| "The commission encourages the creation of incentives to promote
| the development of open-source and open-content projects at universities
| and colleges across the United States, enabling the open sharing of
| educational  materials from a variety of institutions, disciplines, and
| educational perspectives. Such a portal could stimulate innovation, and
| serve as the leading resource for teaching and learning. New initiatives
| such as OpenCourseWare, the Open Learning Initiative, the Sakai Project,
| and the Google Book project hold out the potential of providing universal
| access both to general knowledge and to higher education."
`----

http://insidehighered.com/news/2006/09/01/commission

"It was just a bit of text advocating open data formats that was slipped into
a Florida "

Then came Microsoft's "Men in Black" to intercept the bill (among many more).

Open Standards for Florida vs Microsoft lobbyists

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.openaddict.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=667

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Modern man is the missing link between Neanderthals and the civilised man
Cpu(s):  21.8% user,   2.9% system,   0.7% nice,  74.7% idle