Re: innovating Norton Desktop ..

__/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Friday 20 April 2007 19:01 \__

> From: Brad Silverberg
> To: David Cole, John Ludwig, Eric Rudder, Mack Mccauley
> Subject: Norton Desktop for Windows
> Date: Friday, May 15, 1992 5:24 PM
>
> From: Aaron Getz
> To: Brad Silverberg
> Subject: Norton Desktop for Windows
> Date: Friday, May 15, 1992 5:24 PM
>
> I've been using Norton Desktop as my shell for a couple of weeks now.
> My overall reaction is mixed.
>
> I hated the last version of Norton Desktop. It was excruciatingly slow,
> it's interrace was inelegant, and the directory tree structure was
> already expanded. Of course, I was comparing this to Win 3.1's file
> manager and program manager.
>
> I generally like this version of Norton Desktop. The only reason I'm
> tempted to stop using it is because applications are running annoyingly
> slow on my machine. I've got an fast 386sx/20 with 6meg of memory. I'm
> not really sure if this is a result of 'Stacker', an old version of
> 'Bullet' or 'Norton Desktop'. The new version of Desktop seems much
> speedier than the old when you are actually using the shell.
>
> The main functionality that I use is the ability to mix program items
> and groups in the top level of the program manager. This has basically
> saved me all my juggling with the present day program manager. Part of
> what makes this nice is the very well integrated and fairly large icon
> library.
>
> Having the file manager windows be SMI is also an improvement,. Because
> of the fact that they are not clipped by an upper level window and the
> default size and positioning of windows, it is very easy to open two
> file manager windows on the screen. This is critical for easy of
> move/copy operations. The fact that the drive icons do not have friendly
> names is a big minus.
>
> I used SmartErase for awhile, but it caused some problems so I turned it
> off. The whole process was a pain i n the rear.
>
> Viewers are cool in concept, but they are two slow, and seemingly
> non-interruptible. It is almost always easier to just open the file. I
> love the view functionality which exists in Word 2.0
>
> I don't drag items to the desktop to create push buttons. This just
> clutters up my screen. The ability to put the items directly into the
> main group of the program manager makes this unnecessary. I just use
> this window when I want to launch things. At the beginning ..
>
> http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/4000/PX04253_A.pdf

Microsoft innovation. Start your photocopiers.

,----[ Quote ]

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/010807/PLEX_5735.pdf

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/122106/PLEX0_5071.pdf

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/2000/PX02991.pdf

The Redmond Copying Machine?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/12/18/the-redmond-copying-machine/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDNuq94Zg_8

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Signature pending approval"
  2:05am  up 8 days  1:33,  4 users,  load average: 0.50, 0.41, 0.62