Re: [News] Aithor of 'Sorry State of Open Source' Criticised, Retires (Sort of)

  • Subject: Re: [News] Aithor of 'Sorry State of Open Source' Criticised, Retires (Sort of)
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 16:33:28 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
> Column: Polemic research
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Unfortunately there is too little research of this type in IT.
> | Commercial and/or ideological interests play too great a part
> | that the conclusions are written beforehand. I do think it is
> | worse when a blogger/columnist gives personal opinion the odium
> | of research. Like 'The sorry state of open source' which was
> | published at PlanÃte BÃranger earlier this week.
> |
> | The 25 html-page piece is more like a j'accuse, a polemic
> | instead of clear and objective analysis. Which is a shame
> | since the issues mentioned do deserve a closer inspection.
> `----
>
> http://opensourcelearning.info/blog/?p=337
>
> Earlier today, Radu published a blog item saying that he'll be taking a break
> and leave his rants to forums and mailing lists, not damaging public
> articles and blog posts.
>
> As [H]omer pointed out, lashing out at OIN was silly because it resulted from
> lack of research on the subject. His post on Novell and TrueType also led to
> a lot of disinformation.

As much as it is vital to cast an ever critical eye over the community's
work (failure to do so will inevitably lead to mediocrity and bugs),
there is a world of difference between constructive criticism and
ranting. The former motivates change, whereas the latter merely results
in alienation.

FOSS is driven by the community, and it is that community which both
creates and steers FOSS. If change is needed, then change will come,
because those who *use* the product *need* it to happen, and they have
the power to make it so. Ranting mindless insults about the work only
insults the community, and motivates nothing but harsh rebuttal.

Radu took the soapbox and spouted his misinformed garbage, and the
community pelted him with rotten tomatoes. Big surprise.

I hope Radu goes on to more constructive work, but perhaps he should use
his little sabbatical to do some serious reading, and fill in the gaping
holes in his knowledge of the GNU/Linux community.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| I found [Vista] to be a dangerously unstable operating system,
| which has caused me to lose data ... unfortunately this product
| is unfit for any user. - [H]ardOCP, <http://tinyurl.com/3bpfs2>
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5
 16:31:42 up 5 days, 14:03,  2 users,  load average: 2.01, 1.66, 1.48