Re: [News] Microsoft Gets Scummier in Anti-Linux Attacks

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Sunday 22 April 2007 06:30 \__

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2007/04/microsoft-money-machine-launches-full.html

> This is essential reading.
>
> Helios (Tux500 project leader, and general Linux luminary) has special
> insight into developments in the Linux world, and even more
> interestingly, has some rather unexpected connections.
>
> Looks like his inside source at Microsoft might have a nasty surprise or
> ten for the Redmond crew, in a couple of years.
>
> You can almost feel the strain of desperation coming from Microsoft now.
> It would be quite funny, but you know what they say about cornered
> animals. Things are about to get *really* nasty.
>
> Man the battle stations.

I have not read this carefully. I don't care much for Tux500. I think it's
tied to Ken Stark's roots in the military and racing passion. However, what
I do know, based on what I've seen in the Financial news earlier, is that
Gates has big plans for China. This is not suprising. Steve Ballmer said
something about this last year. He even opened a new large division there,
IIRC. I think that, despite the fact that they extend the Redmond campus --
a large investment that'll probably bring folks on visas -- they place their
cards on the future economic shift to the east. In other words, rather than
assisting their nation (falling from 1st to 7th position in just one year),
it'll only be hard-working foreigners that will run the Vole and the Swiss
bank accounts of Bill and Steve that will cash in. That's my prediction
anyway. Their financial report is due next week. Based on something I have
read it might be positive, but given their sliding profits the last time,
the continuing investments, the colossal financial failures of Live and
XBox, etc. I think there might be more signs of weakness. Their online
strategy is going nowhere and only the elevated prices (e.g. up 50% for
Office support) can keep them fed while squeeze the goose really, really
hard. Wait until it all explodes and people leave by the boatload. They are
squeezing very hard.

I'm no expert in finance, but I have been reading about the great pressure
and stress Ballmer has put on the stock, making huge bets on XBox360, Zune,
Online services, and Vista. None of these products (there are many more like
UMPCs, Windows Mobile, etc) has returned good performance for its division.
And let's not forget the endless buybacks that are only make belief for the
stock's value (MSFT). Goldman Sachs has just thrown it out of the basket.
And the Seattle Pi reports that Microsoft has lost over half of its cash
reserves in just 2 years.

The cash cow is where it'll hurt the most though (Office 2007 vs OpenDocument
adoption worldwide). Times are changing. Vista is already a lost cause.
Confusion, uncertainty, aggression, and arrogance are all that's left for
Microsoft. We'll see some ugly behaviour in years to come. The cockroach
doesn't go down easy...

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector"
Tasks: 120 total,   2 running, 115 sleeping,   0 stopped,   3 zombie