Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux a "Top-notch Product"

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Sunday 22 April 2007 06:02 \__

http://technical-itch.co.uk/2007/04/20/ubuntu-704-upgrade-first-impressions/

>> Earlier today I came across a figure that's 20 million downloads.
>
> Holly crap!
>
> Add 10 million copies of Fedora running Sugar on OLPCs.

That's just the initial figure, before massive production (hundreds of
millions) begins.

A closer look at what '$100 laptop' will be

,----[ Quote ]
| After the kids have their say, and necessary changes are made, the
| nonprofit group One Laptop Per Child (OLPC at www.laptop.org) plans to ship
| 5 million XOs around the world by the end of 2007, a first installment
| toward reaching the 1 billion school-age children now growing up in the
|        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| developing world. The machines will be built by Quanta Computer in Taiwan.
|
| [...]
|
| Inside, the operating system is based on Linux open-source software,
| ignoring both Windows and Mac. Instead of folders on the opening
| screen, students see a figure representing a child (an X with an
| O over it, hence the "XO") surrounded by a circle of icons
| showing what activities are in use. The system also includes
| an Internet browser, a word processor, games, and a toolkit
| for a wide variety of musical activities.
`----

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0129/p13s01-stct.html

Why do you think Bill Gates has just said in Beijing that he wants another
one billion computer (=Windows) users?

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "This sig seemed like a good idea at the time..."
Tasks: 118 total,   1 running, 114 sleeping,   0 stopped,   3 zombie